Today’s students have an array of options when it comes to higher ed, so why choose a community college? Wow! There are many reasons, and they are so compelling that since 2000, nearly 835,000 Kentuckians have chosen to attend one of our 16 KCTCS colleges.
Since April is Community College Month, I thought it was a good time to let everyone know why they should choose KCTCS. To borrow an idea from the old David Letterman Show, here is the top 10 list.
- KCTCS has the lowest tuition in Kentucky – less than half the cost of four-year universities.
- If you want to get trained quickly and get to work, we offer many programs that can’t be found anywhere else and can be completed in four months or less for jobs that pay up to $60,000.
- Our colleges are close to home. There is a KCTCS college within a 30-minute drive of 95 percent of all Kentuckians.
- We are Kentucky’s largest provider of postsecondary education. Nearly half of all undergrads in Kentucky attend KCTCS, so Higher Education Begins Here is not just a tagline.
- Students who begin their college journey at a community college and transfer to a four-year institution do as well or better than those who attend a four-year institution from the beginning.
- Need online classes? KCTCS is the largest provider of online classes in Kentucky.
- If health care careers are appealing, you can join the 69 percent of Kentucky allied health care workers who received their education at KCTCS.
- If skilled trades interest you, we have that! KCTCS trains 82 percent of the state’s skilled trade workers – everything from welding and HVAC, to lineman and fiber optics training.
- You can get your education and earn money at the same time! Through Kentucky FAME, students earn college credit and a salary while working in advanced manufacturing.
- KCTCS is open to everyone, and we have no application fee.
These 10 reasons may be why so many people choose KCTCS, but think about the overarching reason people attend college – they have dreams of a better life for themselves and their families. Community college offers that for many who thought they couldn’t go to college or maybe couldn’t do college work. Once they enter our doors, they find they can do the work, earn a credential and get a good job or transfer to one of our four-year partners. Entering our doors is just the first step. What happens next is that many more doors will be open to our students. Doors they never imagined opening for them, and without an education, wouldn’t have.
Although cost, programs and access are reasons students choose KCTCS, the main reason is to create a better life. Helping people improve their lives and employability is our mission. We live it every day, and we’re celebrating it during Community College Month. Open our doors and see why community college has been the right choice for so many.